Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Displaying Your Wares
With a big indoor event coming up in mid-October, my thoughts once again go to how to best display my wares. As you may or may not know, the majority of shows I have been doing are outdoor events, many of them multiple day camping events.
The kind of displays needed for those venues must be light weight and fold down flat for quick & easy set up, packing and transportation. They need to be able to withstand any weather condition; soft showers & torrential rain, gentle breezes & 100 km per hour winds, extreme heat & near freezing temperatures.
While my current display pieces are 'functional' they lack the 'sophistication' I'm looking for at a high-end indoor event. And, admittedly, they are a little worse for the wear having been exposed to the elements on more than one occasion.
There are a few things that I've learned that would apply to both types of events. That is as good a place to start as any.
1. Never lay handmade jewelry flat on a table. Try to have several different levels to provide more interest and catch the eye of potential customers as they walk by.
2. Make sure that every piece is clearly marked with a price tag or sign. Some people will not ask if they don't see it, even if they really love your work.
3. Don't crowd pieces too close together. They stand out more when there is a respectable space between them.
4. Always have at least one mirror available so potential customers can see what your design looks like against their skin.
5. Use appropriate settings for the event and use colour effectively to highlight your jewelry, not detract from it.
My son has constructed a couple of display stands that I have used at the one big indoor event I've been at before and they will be the base of my set-up for this event in October. Looking at the photo of my booth (above), I do see things that I need to change this time. For starters, this will not be a holiday event, so my colour scheme will be totally different. I really need to 'step it up' a little because this could open many doors for me. Wish me luck!