Wednesday, February 19, 2014

De-Clutter Project 2014 - Week 8

Well, I've made some progress so far this year, not a lot, but I've definitely made a bit of headway. There is still so much to do though. I really do not know what to focus on next. But, I promised myself to accomplish 'something' each week, no excuses, no procrastinating allowed.

I get some of my best ideas while washing dishes, don't ask me why, but I do. Today was no exception. What about the tea towel drawer? I haven't gone through that spot in awhile, as it turns out, apparently quite some time.

Upon inspection, I noticed there was a lot of items in there that should not be. Safety pins, old keys (for who knows what?), sewing machine bobbins, spools of thread, crochet hooks (I don't even crochet), pens, markers, paper clips, a single hole punch, scotch tape, hair elastics, empty key chains, pennies, a stitch ripper and a thimble, among other miscellaneous paraphernalia.

No wonder it was getting difficult to close the drawer! There was so many things in there that should have been elsewhere that there wasn't enough room for what was supposed to be in there...clean tea towels and dish cloths. After putting all the bits and pieces into their rightful places, there was more room for the kitchen linens. Hurray!

But once again, here is the evidence (staring me right in the face) that I put stuff in the first convenient drawer rather than taking the extra couple of seconds or minutes to put it in the 'right' place. How do I break that cycle? It's clearly a very bad habit that I've cultivated over the years. Is it too late to teach this old dog, new tricks? I hope not.

Please Note: My camera battery died as I was trying to take the 'before' photo and since it takes a couple of hours to recharge, there will be no pictures of the task this week.

What area do you intend to tackle this week? What do you think you will find? More importantly, what will you do with it?


5 comments:

  1. I have decided to finally do some de stashing too-starting with my craft room-I just have too much stuff-lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My craft room needs a lot of work too. I have tons of beads collected over the years. I'm certain that I'll never use a lot of them. I really should start looking at downsizing the hoard.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you're not the only culprit in your household that puts things in the first convenient place Bonnie! My other half is an absolute stinker for doing that. He'll put things on top of the bin rather than go to the inconvenience of opening it! He's a shocker lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think half the battle for me is actually having a home for the stuff. Once I've got that (and the home is actually accessible) it does get easier to return things to said home. Way to go on achieving a bit more progress this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tea towel drawer.....yes, I need to do that too, especially after finding extras in the linen closet last week and then trying to stuff them in to the more appropriate drawer. Sigh. There is still a big pile of clutter directly behind me here. While some of it actually belongs there (or so I tell myself), other stuff is just plain in the way. I don't have a clue where I can put any of it, but I'll see what I can do. The week isn't over yet.....

    ReplyDelete