Monday, April 2, 2012

The Vocal Focal - Bead Swap

The focal bead or pendant is the centre of a design. By centre I don’t mean literally centre (although in many cases it is) but rather the most important part of a piece.  Without a focal point, an observer will lose interest quickly because she does not know where to look and what part is the most interesting.  Every other part of a design builds from a focal....a vocal focal.

With that in mind, I thought it might be fun to have a focal bead and/or pendant swap.  That's it, just one bead or pendant.  No co-ordinating beads, no stringing material, no clasp, no spacers, no findings...just one focal.

I will match up partners the old fashioned way, drawing names out of a hat.  Once you have your partner, you can decide together on a price limit.  $10 - $15 seems like a good middle ground but the two of you can go more or less if you choose.  You can get some really nice focals for under $10 and some that are much more than $15. 

There is no expectation for you to create a piece with your focal bead right away, although that would be great if you do.  All I ask is that you post a photo of what you receive to your blog, perhaps describe a design idea you have in mind for it, and definitely thank your partner for sending it.

To participate, please send your name, e-mail address and blog to me by Saturday, April 7th.  I will select partners and send the list of swap partners out on Sunday, April 8th.  The Vocal Focal reveal day will be May 5th.  Click here to join us for a fun swap!

5 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea, Bonnie - such a creative one. I've never seen a swap idea like this and I love it - quick and easy, and not immediate expectation to create anything. I think we are all involved in so many challenges and deadlines - I know I am! I'd love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me it Cindy! I love the idea of swapping just a focal. e-mail-- beadsbyandra@gmail.com
    blog- www.andrasjoyfuljourney.blogspot.bom

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a seed beader. I often make beaded focals. Would that be acceptable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sent you an email! :-) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so upset, I missed it!!! it looks like sooo much fun!!I hope that more challenges come around and i can get in on them , I love a project and I love create and share .So I will be reading, ready and waiting , for another swap to start , and hopefully I can jump in quickly and snag a spot and be able to enjoy the wonderful idea that all you wonderful creative people come up with !! ... I can't wait to see whats coming next , I will be waiting I hope when there is a new swap i don't miss it ...

    ReplyDelete