Friday, January 6, 2012

The Power of Social Media

A friend shared a link to an article about how to best utilize social media to promote your creative work.  I'm already doing a few thing right, it seems.

I have two Facebook profiles, one personal, one business, and the two are linked together.  I have a blog and I post links to each new entry on both profiles.  In theory, if each friend shared it with two friends, and those two friends shared with two friends....and so on, and so on....it could mushroom fairly quickly.  Last year I wasn't as consistent with my blog as I'd planned to be but that will improve in 2012. 

The article writer recommends sharing some of your product listings, just not so many that people get tired of being bombarded with them to the point where they start ignoring them.  She also suggests highlighting & sharing the work of others.  Oh, another bonus point for me!  I've been doing that already.

Since I work full-time, my opportunities to partake in social media are limited to evenings & weekends.   I have, however, found myself drawn into spending more of that time on facebook or blogs when I really should be doing other things.

Perhaps planning ahead more would help me out, like sitting down on weekends to prepare a plan for the upcoming week.  I could possibly write (or draft) several blog posts and decide what new products I want to list on Etsy. 

Yes, it could be said that I'm currently limiting myself to a niche market and I think I do need to broaden my horizons a bit.  One thing is certain though; the image I project out there in cyberspace is the real me.  I'm a social butterfly in person, so that just naturally extends to the online communities.

Most importantly, I have fun with it.  I enjoy connecting with new people and learning new techniques & perspectives from them.  It keeps me continually evolving, for the better, I hope.

If you'd like to read the aforementioned article by Jess Van Den in its entirety, click here.  If you'd like to learn more about the inspiration behind the copper social media necklaces of Kirsten Denbow Designs, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment