Friday, September 11, 2015

Autumn ATCs - Testing Out a New Technique

I saw a video tutorial online this week that really inspired me to give the technique a try. While I did run into some bumps in the road, I’m reasonably pleased with the end result. I’ve documented the process to share with you.

I started off with an 8.5” X 11” piece of kraft chipboard. I save them from the notepads we use at work. That is the base for all of my ATCs.

Orange paint was applied. The chipboard really absorbed the paint and when it was dry, there were a few spots not as well covered as others. I might use a coat of Gesso before the paint next time so that the paint is not absorbed so much. The chipboard curled up as it dried but a couple of hours under a heavy book flattened it enough to work with.

I used a paper doily, a small piece of sponge and black paint to create an interesting background.

Then I used red paint with a paper doily to add more colour.

Next came some strips of beige scrapbook paper, randomly cut and glued on. I used a glue stick, but I should have gone with regular craft glue.

Green painters’ tape was added after that. I was kind of using what I had available and did not really think about it much.

Another paper doily was pulled out and antique white paint was applied with a sponge on top of everything.

Then it was time to cut out 8 ATCs from the decorated chipboard. I ended up coating each card with Mod Podge to seal it and hold all the elements in place. I used my new corner rounder to finish off all the corners. A fine sand paper sponge smoothed out the rough edges.

Being unable to find die cut autumn leaves, I ended up using leaf stickers on heavy kraft paper for the focal point of the cards. I tore the paper roughly around the leaves and used my black stamp pad and a sponge to add definition to the edges.

Here is the end result...not great, not terrible...but a lot of fun to do. And I will definitely use the method again, incorporating some of the lessons that I learned during the process


  1. Hi there Bonnie... I use the chipboard from cereal boxes and the like to make my MailArt PostCards... Curling can be a problem... but i find as long as i 'am not overly heavy handed withe the glue, its not too bad.. Any time i can use the glue and just run it around the edges instead of the whole piece i have better results too. If it is curling after i do the front then if i turn it over and glue on a piece of paper so i can write the address and stuff on the back then it will straighten itself out... It can be a pain but you can't beat free.. :) Love your ATC's! Hugs! deb

    1. Heavy handed with the glue, that's my problem. I find a day under a couple of heavy books usually flattens them out again though.

  2. Wow. I'm supposed to send something random to various people before the end of the year and I was wondering what to do. I might have to try this project and see if I come up with anything interesting enough to share with them. Thanks for posting.

    1. I had a lot of fun with this one. I hope you do too. *smile*