Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mixed-Media Jewelry

More and more jewelry makers & designers are pushing the boundaries of traditional approaches to jewelry making.  Beyond the basic bead stringing and wire-work, they have started to explore other options in techniques and materials used. They are mixing, layering and utilizing aspects from other craft forms and joining them together to create some unique pieces....typically one-of-a-kind.  This form of exploratory jewelry has become known as 'mixed-media jewelry'.

Individual designers can incorporate elements to reflect their own personal style and personality.  That can include glass, fibers, paper, buttons, ribbon, bottle caps, shells and many other bits & pieces found on their travels.  The selection of materials or methods is limited only by the imagination of the artist.  The finished pieces are fun & whimsical, stand out in a crowd and are great conversation starters.

While browsing through some used books at the antique warehouse on the weekend, I came across a fabulous book that brought this jewelry making genre to the forefront of my attention.  Of course, I'd seen pieces that were made in this style before but did not know that the style had a name.  I purchased the book, a bargain at one third of the original retail price, and began reading it as soon as I got home.


I'm inspired now to gather together all the odds & ends I have around here and experimenting with my own version of mixed-media jewelry.  Hopefully, I will have some samples to share soon.  Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment