Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Yadda Yadda Degenerative Blah Blah Blah

Why do doctors use all those multi-syllabled, unpronouncable, unrepeatable words when delivering a diagnosis?  Degenerative is the only word that I could pick out of what the doctor said during a recent visit.  I was getting the results of some x-rays that I'd had on my hips.  X-rays, I might add, that left me in three times more pain when I left the clinic than when I arrived.  The technician required me to get into positions that I should no longer attempt and he wondered why I screamed out in pain.

'Perhaps that's why I'm having the x-rays?', I suggested.

So, there I was sitting in the doctor's office a week later to get the results.  You have 'Yadda Yadda Degenerative Blah Blah Blah'.  I stared at her with a blank look on my face.

'Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are trying to say is that I have arthritis, right?', I quipped.

'Yeah, pretty much.', she cheekily replies.

What a revelation!  Who knew?  For heavens sake, I could have told them that BEFORE they tortured me on the x-ray table!!  All the signs and symptoms were there....stiff, swollen joints, lots of pain, even a family history of arthritis. 

At least it's confirmed now.  I'm old.  Thanks a lot, Doc!  I would never have known otherwise.  *smile*  So, please excuse me for being negligent in posting to the blog this month.  The damp weather has been making my days, and my nights, pretty challenging.  I'll try to do better from here on.

3 comments:

  1. That is SO sad!!! Is there at least something they can do for you to manage the pain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your health first, the blog second - that makes sense to me.

    And wow, what a newsflash for you or anyone who knows you. What did the doc think she was going to find? Like really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain is my constant companion now. The pain pills that the doctor prescribed only take the edge off....sometimes. The rest of the time I just have to cope the best I can.

    ReplyDelete