Saturday, April 13, 2013

Focusing on Life - Week 15



Our challenge for this week...

'Focus on the aged beauty that may be an old building or an aging vehicle in a parking lot, items in a local barn, flea market, garage or in your jewelry box and snap a shot of a vintage beauty!' 

My mother recently gave me my great-grandmother's jewelry box. Along with it came a few little treasures from her life.

Ida Amelia White, my great-grandmother, was born in August, 1873 and died at the ripe old age of 96 years in 1970. She saw a lot of changes in the world in her lifetime. See a photo of her with me (the baby on the left), along with my cousins.

Here is her one of her watches from the jewelry box. It doesn't work anymore, of course. I wonder if it could be repaired. I love to take it out and look at it from time to time. I have fond memories of my great-grandmother and the watch brings them all back.



She loved to wear brooches too and the one below was one of her favourites. I recall how upset she was when one of the blue stones went missing. She searched high and low but never did find it. She still continued to wear the brooch though because she loved it so much.



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful pieces to have as a reminder of a special family member. I have a ring of my grandmother's back in the states, and a beaded purse that my grandmother would use for "best".

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a special heirloom to have her jewellery box! and i hope you can get the watch repaired, as it is SUCH a beautiful timepiece (i have a bit of a 'thing' for watches...) a very lovely post!
    have a wonderful week :)
    no. 21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Her watch is amazing! I hope you wear it just because. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother died in 1970, she was only 92, the picture of your great grandmother reminds me of my grandmother. My mother is turning 90 this summer... (my husband hopes that means that I have at least another 33 years to clean up the house!) That watch is quite neat.. not sure how many true watch makers there are left.. since most watches now are quartz movements!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love brooches and hope they come back in style. This one is beautiful just the way it is. Any way you can get that gorgeous watch fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow it is so wonderful to have your Grandmother's jewelry box to go and take out pieces that she love so much.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when I had my grandmother's jewelry (I've given it to my sister's in law.) It's so colorful and sparkly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pictures and memories. Just don't take the watch apart for "parts" (I know you wouldn't!)

    ReplyDelete