Saturday, September 29, 2018

Halloween Greeting Cards

Greeting cards...this is another one of those crafty things I could not see myself ever getting interested in but times change as they always do. I found a YouTube channel that has amazing card tutorials and now I am hooked. I knew that eventually this would happen. First I say I'll NEVER do it, then I waiver a bit...next thing you know, I'm doing it. It's a pattern I typically follow.


Kristie Marcotte takes a 6" X 6" paper pad and makes as many cards as she can out of it, usually between thirty and forty. Here is a link her channel to check out. She purchases card kits from different vendors and makes cards from them also. She is on the design teams of some of them.

She also has a blog post to accompany all of her videos with individual photos of the cards she creates, as well as, the design sketches with measurements that she used. Here is the link to her blog.

So, with Halloween around the corner and inspiration from Kristie, I decided to try my hand at some greeting cards. I have completed two and I'm fairly pleased with the results. I started out with blank white note cards and built up the layers. I have a lot of scraps from the papers I've cut for my October Daily and they are just the right size these note cards but too small for anything else. I'm happy to be able to use up a bunch of the paper scraps.

Kristie uses an ATG tape dispenser (see photo above) to adhere all the layers down. I don't have one of those. I picked up some double sided tape from the dollar store to experiment with. Take my advice, save yourself the time, effort and money...don't get cheap double sided tape. The layers kept separating from each other and I had to use some glue to stick them back down. Very frustrating.

I went to Michaels today and purchased a Scotch Double Sided Tape Roller. I did look at the ATG tape dispensers but the price is a bit prohibitive this week, especially when I know there is a 55% off coupon for next Saturday. Since I'm going to be out of town next weekend, I will have to ask someone to pick it up for me.

I can see myself making some of my Christmas cards this year now...for those that I know will appreciate the time and craftsmanship that goes into them. With all the plans for October, it will have to be after that. I have enough on my plate right now. Stay tuned though, it will happen.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Yvonne. They were not as difficult to do as I thought they would be. I think that is what was scaring me off for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Yvonne...your cards do look great! I have had an ATG almost since Day 1. Though I have stopped using it the year they shelved some bad tape rolls. While it is indeed a costly tool, like a few others I (we) have purchased recently it's nothing a 50% off coupon can't fix. Howwver I still find the tape rolls expensive and don't to a Micheals often enòugh to warrant buying them again. I do miss using it though. So I may try it again sometime soon with your new-found inspiration for card making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to live closer to a Michaels store than you do, and there are enough coupons that come up to make it more cost effective for me. I just have to sweet talk someone to pick it up for me while I'm away next weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love them. I wondered if it would be easier once you got the measurements. I can’t wait to try it and I’m already thinking about Christmas Cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got supplies for Christmas cards today at Michaels. Buy one, get one free sale on paper pads and card/envelope blanks. I'm ready to go!

      Delete