Monday, December 29, 2014

Making Progress On The Etsy Shop

Work on my Etsy shop is progressing. I've asked several people I know and trust to give me some constructive feedback. I want to get my shop generating lots of activity and sales in 2015.

The new banner is almost ready to upload. Then I will be adding a photo of myself on my profile page. Several people have told me that showing my smiling face will help sell product. We will see how that works. *smile*

I added detailed Shipping & Policies information. I looked at the type of information other shop owners had up and decided what policies will work for me. Some people had policies that, I thought, bordered on hostile and I don't think that is the best customer service protocol. I understand the need to be firm and clear but the confrontational attitude could be counter-productive, in my humble opinion.
Good example of a bad photo

Something else that needs improvement is my product photos. I already knew this but more than one other person has pointed that out too. The lack of the proper equipment and skills are the two biggest problems. I can certainly research photography techniques and apply the ones that I can but there is no money in the budget at this time for a better camera.

I have made slight modifications on my About Me page. I will likely make a few more changes before I'm totally happy with it. But the good news is...I'm making progress.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie: don't know if you follow Handmadeology but they have great photo tips that don't cost much in the way of equipment. Also lots of good advice for Etsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fay. I had not heard about Handmadeology, and will be sure to check them out.

      Delete
  2. I agree some of them can border on hostile. I've felt that too while shopping. I think they have just had some bad experiences so you cannot really blame them...

    I wish you all the best of luck Bonnie.... Have you figured out how to get a business license or selling permit and how to pay your taxes i think quarterly? All that is what has stopped me from opening an Etsy shop in the past... All that money layout when you don't even know if your stuff will sell. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that some people have had bad experiences and I sympathize with that, but outright hostility will likely scare off more customers than it attracts, I think.

      Delete
    2. I think your right! :) What about the tax stuff and permits??
      Hugs! deb

      Delete
    3. The business licence is not that expensive and is good for five years. Most events do not require permits to vend. It's the insurance required by some that can get costly. The tax stuff is not that hard to work out either. At this stage, I'm not even selling enough product per year for it to be an issue.

      Delete
  3. Sorry Bonnie... I live in CA and you cannot sell ANYTHING without having a licence or permit and pay taxes on it... Some state i think have a limit that you can sell before you have to worry about that stuff but not CA... Thanks! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Canada, so the regulations are different here, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how exciting!! I can't wait to see your shop up and running soon. Best of luck on getting it all done.

    ReplyDelete