Friday, September 2, 2011

Fibber McGee's Closet & The Thing In The Hall

I drove home from work a different way yesterday and found myself passing by the property where my grandparents' house used to be.  A flood of fond memories washed into my head.  One thing in particular came to mind.

There was a closet in the small hallway next to the bathroom of that old house that my grandmother called 'Fibber McGee's Closet'.  I remember that it had all kinds of cool stuff in it.  If something wasn't somewhere else, it was in there.  As a child, I had no idea why it was called 'Fibber McGee's Closet' and I didn't think to question it.

I have since learned that back in the 1940's and 50's there was a weekly radio show called Fibber McGee and Molly.  McGee kept everything, he never threw anything away. Where did he keep all that stuff that was either "too good to throw away" or that he "might need some day"?  In his closet, of course! 


At some point during each show, McGee would go looking for something in his closet.  It was a recurring gag where he or someone else would open the closet and everything would fall out on top of them.  He'd eventully find exactly what he was looking for, including some obscure and unusual things.

I have a closet like that in my house.  It contains bedding, towels, glassware, fabric, holiday decorations, lightbulbs, matches, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, dolls and who knows what else!  Maybe I should start calling it 'Fibber McGee's Closet' too.  *smile*

Also in my house, interestingly enough in the hall by the bathroom, stands what my mother called the 'Thing In The Hall'.  The 'thing' is actually a tall, narrow chest of drawers.  Inside you will find batteries, new toothbrushes, sewing supplies, patterns, tissue paper, extension cords, appliance manuals, yarn, knitting needles, safety pins, hair brushes, old eyeglasses, scotch tape and tons of other stuff too. 

If Fibber McGee had had a 'Thing In The Hall', I bet it would have been much like mine.....a junk drawer gone wild!  *smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment