Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Creating a Brand

I've been putting some thought into 'branding' recently, both for my company and my product.  What steps do I need to take and what elements do I need to include to establish myself as a 'known entity'?

Let's first define 'brand' and 'branding'...

Brand: a class of goods identified by name as the product of a single firm or manufacturer

Branding: the promoting of a product or service by identifying it with a particular brand

Here are some of my initial thoughts on what I need to do...

A mission statement is probably a good place to start.  What does your company want to do, how do you want to do it, where do you want to do it, why do you want to do it and how do you want to do it?  Make it short & sweet, clearly understandable to all.  Do I currently have a definitive mission statement?  No, but I'm thinking I should start working on that right now.

I believe that having a customized logo is very important.  That's why I asked an artist friend of mine to create one for me last year.  I'd been using a free fairy clipart that I'd found online.  It was more cartoon-like than classy & grown-up.  See my current logo to the left and my old one below...

Big difference, eh?  It's the same basic theme (a fairy on the moon) but the impact is much more dramatic with the new logo, I think.  Your logo should be unique & easily identifiable.  When people see it, they will think of you.
It is my opinion that you need good quality business cards.  My first cards were purchased from an online printing company, and while they totally served my purpose when I started out, I quickly learned that I needed to step it up a bit if I wanted to reach a more sophisticated audience.

Next, I believe there needs to be consistency across the board.  Your logo & colour scheme should be reflected on your business cards, flyers, website, blog & wherever else you have a presence; facebook, etsy, craft shows, etc.  This blog will be definitely be getting a much needed facelift to bring it in line with my company colour scheme.....as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Have a core set of products that customers 'know' you for.  That brings some repeat business, but even more importantly, referrals.  I can't tell you how many times people have stopped in our booth and told me that their friend had told them to come over to see what we had.  The products, for me, that would be 'core products' are the Tree of Life pendants and cloak clasps. 
   
It's still important to continually bring in or create new products to keep your customers coming back....just to see what delightful treats you have this time....but they should complement or enhance your core products.

I certainly will be put putting some more time & thought into this branding issue in the next few weeks.  I think there is real value in establishing your company and your work in this way.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Makes me want to step up my game too! Can't wait to see what you come up w/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Branding can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be!
    Actually, where you want to start is in your values. Who are you and what do you stand for? Are you fair, crooked, want to get rich quick or give fair value and meet your customers' needs?
    I have helped hundreds of clients with this and all the other aspects of presenting their business face; in other words - Marketing.
    Margaret Pennyfather www.marketingstrategiesnetwork.com
    BTW-I am a crafter too!

    ReplyDelete